Monday, April 14, 2008

mini test hike

I did a short hike this weekend, partly so I could test my new pack. 2 friends (umm, maybe they need nicknames, I'll think on it) and myself went out to The Fells on Sunday morning. I loaded my Moonbow pack with 18 pounds and it felt really good. Soooo much better than my Osprey felt at 20 pounds. We took the bus replacement service* to the end of the subway line and it was a short walk to the trails. We hiked probably 3-4 miles on the trails, plus the 1/2 mile to and from the subway and the 1/4 mile to and from the trail...5-5.5 miles total. Not too bad.

I found the Moonbow really easy to pack. I put my sleep pad down and then my sleeping bag. I stuck my hammock in the fold, then a sack with all my hiking clothes (way more than I'll take on the trail). I stuck in a few Nalgene bottles of water for weight, my stove, and some toilet paper. Folded it in half and snapped it shut. After a brief technical difficulty (some of the buckles needed to be taken off and turned over and put back on, they were not holding when I tightened the straps, but a super easy fix was all it needed) I had a ready to go pack. I stuck my trekking poles in one side, another bottle of water+snack+purse in the outside pocket and was on my way.

This was also good because it looks like I'm going to be at a good weight for hiking. I wasn't too worried as I've been shopping for lightweight stuff, but it was good to estimate that I'll be at 15ish pounds without food and water.

*bus replacement service = the f-ing subway seems to always close the same section of tracks on the weekends. They do run buses, but I get bus-sick and it is never a good experience. I was ready to upchuck on someones shoes by the time we got off on the way home from our hike. Luckily I don't get subway-sick.

No comments: