Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Gear - shoes, socks, stove

Wanna see some pics of my gear? Probably not, but here they are anyway! I've got some more stuff that I don't have pictures of yet. And my pack has been ordered, I'm so excited! I'll make a real gear list sometime.

Shoes: Merrell Moab Vents, size 36. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gotten a size 37, but I didn't want my shoe falling off so I can buy a larger size part way through if I need to.

IMG_1872

Socks: Smartwool medium weight hiking socks, women's size small. And FoxRiver Sock liners, size small. I like the Smartwool socks okay. 3 out of the 6 sock liners have had holes in them though, so I'm going to return another pair and see if they have a different brand of liners. I'd heard good things, but holes in the socks that I've never worn is not cool! I wanna make my own holes in them. I need some more socks, I think I'll order the smartwools online (cheaper) and maybe the liners too once I figure that out! I'll be taking 3 pairs of smartwools and 2 liners, but will surely need to replace them. I'm figuring at least 2 replacements for each sock.

IMG_1873

And a stove: Jet Boil. They only had black, I wanted red. Oh well. This worked great when I tried it. Lights super easy, even in the freezing cold! The black stove under the cup comes off and fits inside with the fuel cannister. The black plastic cup to the right fits over the silver part on the bottom of the cup.

IMG_1875

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

I hope that the JetBoil works well and that the shoes fit properly.

Unknown said...

Hello Jeanette:

I'm planning for the AT this spring and would love your opinion on the JetBoil system. Thanks

Trail Name: Olive Oil said...

Hey Gary. I'm not sure if Jeanette will see your comment on my blog, so I'll answer you from both of our perspectives!

Jeanette and I both have JetBoil stoves, and both of us tend to use other stoves. When I was on the trail hiking, there were a few thrus that used the Jetboil and loved it. It is super easy to use, lights fast, boils fast, etc. I didn't use it because of how heavy it is. If I'm out for 2-3 days, I'll use it, but I don't need to carry much food then.

I ended up using a titanium alcohol stove. It is about 1 oz. I carried my denatured alcohol in a V-8 bottle inside a ziplock bag (ziplock bags are your friend!). Soda bottles leaked, the plastic V-8 bottle didn't. I bought a titanium pot and made an aluminum foil windscreen and it was all super light. Pretty easy to use, and only took like 8 min to boil my pot of water. There are a ton of different alcohol stoves out there and a lot of people on the trail use them.

The other option, is a pocket rocket type cannister stove. That is what Jeanette uses for her weekend trips.

I believe that both cannisters and denatured alcohol are both pretty easy to get along the trail, and the cannisters for the JetBoil last a lot longer than I expected them to.

I only did about 400 miles 2 summers ago, but if you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them to the best of my abilities!