Monday, April 28, 2008

Hammock

I finally tried to set up my hammock. It is a Hennessy Hammock, the Ultralite Backpacker A-Sym.

I was out at The Fells with S a week and a half ago and we tried to set it up. It kinda worked, but the instructions on the hammock bag were not very clear and I had no clue how to tie the knots! So last week I got online and found a video. That helped a lot! I watched it a bunch of times and practiced the knots at home.

Then I took my hammock out to the closest thing I have to a backyard. The Paul Revere Mall - a stretch of brick and trees between the Old North Church and some other church. I picked out two of the smaller trees that looked a good distance apart. It took a few minutes to get it all untwisted from when I'd tried to hang it previously. The actual hanging wasn't too bad though. Next time it will be quicker. I spent lots of time centering it and not a whole lot of time tying the knots.

Once it was up, I figured I should try getting in it...just to make sure it would hold. I crawled in through the opening on the bottom (the top is bugnetted) and stretched out. It didn't fall!

It was pretty dark out by then, so I didn't get any pictures of it hanging. I wanted to pack it up in the snake skins. That actually took more time than hanging it. I'll know how to wrap it up better next time though so it should slide in easier.

Here is my hammock all ready for me to take it out and see if I can replicate my successful hanging.

Hennessy Hammock in snake skins