Sunday, March 16, 2008

I'm going to hike!

Hi everyone!  Welcome to my blog.  I'm planning on doing a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail, from now on I'm probably call it the AT.

For those not in the know, the AT is a trail from Georgia (Springer Mountain) to Maine (Katahdin) that is 2175 miles long.  It passes through 14 states.  It takes from 5-7 months on average to hike the whole thing.

My plan is to start in mid-May in Harpers Ferry, WV and hike north to Katahdin, then return to Harpers Ferry and hike south to Springer Mt.  I'm doing a flip-flop hike because of start dates.  I can't start soon enough to do NOBO (north bound) and I don't want to wait an extra month to do SOBO (south bound).  I know there are others doing the same hike I am at around the same time, so I'll have them for company on the trail.

I'll be posting lists of gear and pictures of gear and probably some more about gear.  I'm shooting for a total pack weight of 20-25 pounds including food and 2L of water, so gear is an important part of it.

Food might also be a topic.  I'm been vegan for over 3 years and vegetarian for over 7 years before that.  It hasn't been a problem, and I don't anticipate it being much of a challenge on the trail.  I'll have to eat a little different than everyone else, but I do that anyway!  Now that I've got a lot of my gear planned out I'm going to start looking at food and deciding how heavily to rely on mail drops.

I'll post about other things that come up as I'm planning.  Once I actually get on the trail, this is where updates will occur, but I won't promise them often.

And for family and such reading this.  Remember that this is the internet.  I'm not using my full name for a reason.  Anybody and everybody can read any comments that you make.  I can delete them but the internet caches stuff and there is the possibility of it being pulled up in a search.  So don't write anything that I wouldn't want a future employer reading.  

1 comment:

Passionphish said...

Thanks for the comment Vegan! Doing a flipflop eh? Sounds like to much fun! I also have a blogger friend in Virginia, near your neck of the vast woods. her blog is tgaw.wordpress.com if you feel like visiting.
Please share your experiences! I will try to keep up as I do my thru. I hope to run into you!
You will know it is me by my pic, and the fact that I will have my mother and DAUGHTER in tow! And she's only ten! She is very adventerous! Any way, great start to your blog!
On another note. My wife and I were just discussing vegans and vegetarians. Could you clear us up and explain the difference? Feel free to email me!